Memorial Etiler Medical Center Department of Pediatrics Uz. Dr. Gokhan Mamur, with the summer season, children play, while entering the sea pool under the sun for long hours, noting that the children to be protected from the harmful effects of the sun gave information about the points.
“Of course we missed the sun, but at the same time, we need to pay attention to the sun burns. As parents, our most important duties to our children are to educate and protect them. Therefore, we must protect our children against the sun; because those who are not protected against the harmful rays of the sun may have skin cancer in the future. ”
How to protect from sunlight?
It is necessary to protect children from harmful sun rays to prevent the development of skin cancer such as sunburn and future melanoma. Since the skin is very thin in the first years of life and it is difficult to control children in the age group of 9-12 years, the probability of sunburn increases especially at those ages. Special attention should therefore be paid to these age groups.
Sunscreen contains various chemicals, prevents the penetration of the sun's harmful rays into the skin, they have different characteristics according to the type of cream. The main features that make creams different are:
• SPF / Protection Factor: This feature is generally the first eye-catcher and can be increased from 2 to 50 or even higher. In children, 20-30 factors are usually sufficient. There are about 3% protection differences between 30 and 50 factors
• Protection from UVA and UVB: UVB in particular, but both types can cause cancer, so the product is protected against both rays.
• Waterproof / Water resistant: When water is left for 80 minutes, the waterproof cream maintains its protective effect while the water resistant is maintained for 40 minutes. Therefore waterproof is more powerful.
Your child will stay in the sun for more than 30 minutes, 20-30 minutes before sun exposure should apply sunscreen. Sunscreen should be refreshed every 80 minutes.
Be sure to get your doctor's recommendations
According to the latest recommendations, sunscreens containing zinc oxide (referred to as Zn oxide) can be applied to infants under six months. Babies in this age group should not be exposed to direct sunlight, they should be protected by light clothing and hats.
Some sun creams can cause significant skin allergies. Especially your last year's creams may cause this, so discard them. If the new sunscreen causes allergies on the first day of your holiday after applying it all over your child for the first time, this will cause both your child's displeasure and your holiday to be bad. Therefore, I recommend the following method. Apply your new cream to your child's arm a few centimeters before the sun comes out and cover it with a band-aid. The next day, remove the band-aid under the sun. If there is no redness, swelling or itching in that area in 15 minutes, go back in, apply sunscreen and let the fun begin in 30 minutes!
How else can you protect it?
- Light cotton garments such as T-shirts provide about 7 factors of protection (SPF 7), so they are not enough on their own, but they are very helpful.
- The hat especially protects the ears and face.
- To be protected from direct sunlight, especially in the first six months of life.
-It is important not to go out between 10:00 and 16:00. It is best not to go out in the sun when the sun's rays are most effective and therefore the most effective. Don't let the weather be cloudy because the harmful rays of the sun penetrate the clouds easily. Maybe you don't see the sun, but for sure, he sees you.
Click to see the products that protect against the harmful effects of the sun.