The nutrition of the expectant mother expects twin babies, although the basic feeding principles of the expectant mother remain the same, there are changes in the amounts. Mothers' need for certain nutrients increases, and the loss of some important minerals increases. Stating that the biggest problem of twin pregnancies stems from the lack of 4 items International Hospital Nutrition and Diet Specialist Dilem İrkin, Demir Iron deficiency is most common in twin pregnancies. Her calcium deficiency, omega fatty acids, protein deficiencies are watching. Twin expectant pregnant women also suffer from constipation because they need to increase their water consumption. ”
Dilem İrkin, who gives information about the 4 most deficient substances in pregnant women expecting twin babies, illuminates the points of interest in this subject:
PLACE IRON, STRENGTHEN WITH VITAMIN C
The most common mineral deficiency in twin pregnancies is iron. In addition to iron supplements taken as an external preparation, foods containing iron taken with foods must be consumed.
- Iron, the richest sources of eggs, red meat, dark green leafy vegetables, dried legumes should not be missing from the table.
- In addition to iron intake, it should be paid attention to vitamin C intake to support absorption, a nutrient containing vitamin C should be taken along with iron containing nutrients.
- Absorption of tea, coffee should be avoided.
- The dose of iron supplement should be determined by the doctor according to the condition of the abortion. Iron requirement in single pregnancy is around 30 mg, while in twin pregnancies this requirement may increase up to 60 mg.
CALCIUM LOWS, LONG-TERM NEGATIVE EFFECTIVENESS CAN BE EFFECTIVE
One of the most important mineral deficiencies in pregnant women expecting twin babies is calcium. Especially with the 28th week of pregnancy, calcium requirement increases. If the mother doesn't get enough calcium, the calcium in the blood drops. Calcium passes through the bones, which causes long-term damage to the mother.
- Calcium requirement during pregnancy is around 1000 mg, but in multiple pregnancies and in women who are pregnant with less than 2 years interval, this requirement increases to 1200 mg.
- During this period, the consumption of calcium-rich milk, yogurt, cheese, nuts, green leafy vegetables should be emphasized.
- 2 glasses of milk a day, 2 glasses of yogurt, 50 gr of cheese should be consumed.
- If these foods are not consumed can be given as a supplement with the support of his doctor. Mothers who do not want to consume milk can be provided with calcium by supporting yogurt, cheese or kefir consumption.
OMEGA FAT ACIDS VERY USEFUL FOR BRAIN, HEART AND EYE
A nutritional supplement that gains value in the third trimester of pregnancy is omega-3 fatty acids. Fish is the most powerful source of this fatty acid, which is especially important for brain, heart, eye health and development.
- Because it contains high levels of mercury, it is useful to prefer small fish instead of big fish. It is necessary to take care to consume fish at least 2 days a week in the last 3 months of pregnancy.
- If there is flax seed in chicken feed, the egg can also be a healthy source of omega -3.
- Almond, walnut, green leafy vegetables, especially purslane, omega-3.
- During the day, it is necessary to try to consume a handful of almonds and hazelnuts. However, it should not be forgotten that these foods are a source of fat and excessive consumption should be avoided.
- Especially on days when fish is not eaten omega-3 supplements need to take.
ONE BABY NEEDS PROTEIN 60 GRAM, TWIN 90-120 GRAM
While the daily protein requirement of a pregnant woman expecting a single baby is 60 grams per day, the protein requirement of the mother who has twin pregnancies can reach up to 90-120 grams. Especially from the sixth month of pregnancy protein intake is important for the development of the baby. This means more meat, fish, eggs, milk, yogurt. As a vegetable protein, it is useful to prefer dried legumes.
CONSUMPLE WATER INCREASES THE RISK OF EARLY BIRTH
Pointing out that constipation is one of the most common problems during pregnancy, Dilem İrkin said, “Especially with the last months, it may become more problematic. For this reason, we must give importance to fruit and vegetable consumption in our daily diet. Green leafy vegetables, rich in both calcium and folic acid, should be included in daily feeding habits. It is important to pay attention to the consumption of fruits and vegetables suitable for 5-6 serving seasons daily. ” Fluid consumption becomes even more important in the last three months of pregnancy. Especially in twin pregnancies, the rate of water in the placenta is very important in this period. While the average consumption of two liters of water in the first months of pregnancy will be sufficient, in recent months this value is not sufficient in twin pregnancies, so it is necessary to consume three liters of water daily. Dilem İrkin emphasized that the insufficient water consumption will cause the risk of premature birth and points out the importance of increasing this value a little more during the hot seasons.
DO NOT LOAD FOR DINNER LIKE TWIN
- Twin pregnancies to be healthy weight control should be done well.
- The most important point here is the body weight the mother conceives.
- If the mother became pregnant with a low weight (body mass index is below 20), the average weight gain of 18-23 is considered normal. Especially starting from the fourth month when the baby's development started and the requirements gained importance, 800 grams of weight should be gained per week.
- If the person became pregnant with normal weight, it is enough to take 16-20 kg in total. Again in the fourth month should not exceed 600 grams per week.
- If the expectant mother became pregnant with a normal weight, she should have an average of 2000-2200 calories in a single pregnancy.